Sunday, May 6, 2007

Week 3

I have taught quite a few lessons now and am beginning to feel much more comfortable in front of a group of students. I am starting to see the difference between the different year levels in learning styles. For examples the year sevens that I have taught tend to be quite a bit slower than the year eights. They are constantly trying to adapt to the different learning style that they school encourages. For this reason it is important that I recognise their difficulties with direction. It is often imperative that I give very clear, basic instructions such as get out a piece of paper and a pen, write your name at the top of the page---then walk around the room and make sure everyone has followed the instructions. It is easy to just assume that they will just follow instructions but a lot of the time they may not have been listening or do not understand.

One of my main observations so far in this placement has been that the longer I am at the school, the more comfortable the students are talking to me and how much better they respond to my requests if I know their names and they feel comfortable with me in the classroom and even in the halls. I think it is essential in teaching to build a good rapport with your students.

I have many more observations..........

No comments: